Wednesday 15 August 2018

On The Mat Day 1025: Drilling Russian Tie-up

So I haven't posted in a while. It's a busy time right now during the O-bon holiday, everyone is traveling home and the weather is ridiculously hot. We've had a heat wave for what seems like 6 weeks where the highest temperature has been over 40 C. It makes it hard to train without air conditioning.

To avoid the heat of the day I've been training during the early morning on the weekend and on Tuesday evening after the sun has passed its peak. I've also had problems with my knee so have focused mostly on drilling during these classes. I've been to the hospital about my knee but that is a story for another day.

Last night we trained for 1 hour. This was broken up into 30 mins drilling and 30 mins sparring. I have been consistent in working on the Russian tie-up and transitioning to single-leg, sumi-gaeshi and fireman's throw. I try to use it to counter judo players because they are not used to the 2on1 grip. I've also invested in a new microphone which is semi-professional. The zoom h1n. It is excellent quality and sits on my desk as we speak. I'm also thinking about making more videos of commentary while sparring not only to give people tips but to also force myself to learn patterns.

See the video below. I hope it will help you in some way.

1 comment: