Monday 12 September 2016

On the Mat Day 749: Drilling Damian Maia Techniques

I've been really interested in Damian Maia's method of passing as outlined in BJJScout videos. I first started taking notice of Maia when he dismantled Gunnar Nelson who I consider having excellent ji-jitsu as well as the right mindset.

I've pieced together and used bits of Maia's techniques in the past such as the reverse sitting half guard top but I've never really become proficient in attaining the dope mount, which F and K-sensei both use well. I think Maia's system is well worth researching because it obviously works versus a punching opponent so its both good in sports BJJ and self-defence BJJ.

There are some caveats when wearing a gi though. Such as you need to be careful about collar chokes when tripoding during the pass. Seeing this passing system explained has opened my eyes to a lot of things. Most of all, it has made me realize that I need to string techniques together more with prediction for what the opponent will do. The simpler the technique the simpler his reaction and the easier it will be to execute.
Here are the videos below.









I've lost count of how many times I've watched these videos so it's nice to have them here in one place to go through.

There is also an excellent writeup at the link below. It's worthy of being a thesis from a university student. Maybe some day they will have BJJ as a subject to be studied at University as the Korean's do with Judo.

LINK IS HERE

No comments:

Post a Comment