Wednesday 8 April 2015

On the Mat Day 610: Simplifying My Game

So with the Dumau competition in 3 weeks I've been trying to boil my techniques down to what work for me best. I really feel like this is the best thing I can do. During sparring for the next 3 weeks, I am continuing to use a couple of takedowns or work for the same few sweeps that I feel comfortable doing. It may be that things go my way or my world gets turned upside down and I find myself in a bad spot but I believe it's a smart move to at least have some kind of strategy set in place. Until now I have not really thought about strategy for competitions. I've just went out there and see whether it lands heads or tails. The worst competition I had was to be pulled into closed guard where I didn't recover my base and got swept. With that in mind I am really trying to drop to combat base in such a situation to prevent them from closing. I like how entering a competition makes me reflect on my weaknesses or areas I need to improve.

Friday will be nogi again this week. I'm very much looking forward to it and we might get a couple more people to join. It brings a fun element to jiu-jitsu and makes me work on things that I usually don't when wearing the gi such as leglocks.

No comments:

Post a Comment