Friday 24 August 2012

On the Mat Day 294: Preventing the Bow and Arrow Choke

I'm pretty tired out right now. I went training last night to BJJ and just finished the Legs and Back workout from Tapout XT. Since I'm training a lot I bought a big tub of multivitamins on my way to class last night. I've also been drinking more protein shakes after class.

Class last night was great because there was such a mix of levels and a lot of them. For the first hour F-sensei showed us back escapes again and since at that time I was the highest grade I got to demonstrate with him. One of the escapes I really liked was securing the choking sleeve with both hands, dropping to the side to pin his choking arm and leg and hip escaping over the bottom leg. At this point I usually fall into a bow and arrow choke but F-sensei showed us that we have to straighten and flatten the leg they usually grab to complete the bow and arrow choke. It was an eye opener for me because it seems so obvious but I had never really thought of it. So folks when escaping from a back mount and his hand is in your collar, straighten out your leg closest to the opponent so you don't fall into a bow and arrow choke.

Sparring time: 7 x 6 mins = 42 mins

No comments:

Post a Comment