Saturday 16 July 2011

On the Mat Day 175: Sumi-nage, Tani-otoshi throws

Another set of throws that I enjoy. K-sensei took us through a few variations and a Sumi-nage using the opposite foot which I thought would not work but does. I really should try more throws but at our club many folks like to work bottom - which is probably why I managed to not get sweeped at the competition. Friday being Friday and a 3-day holiday starting from today, there were not so many people. Yoshida (new white), Akira, K-sensei, Kon-san and Kawai-san. We had a good few rounds of sparring though. Just there was not much wind last night and we were all sweating like crazy and supping tons of water at the end.

I sparred with the new white belt and felt it was quite easy to control him. All white belts seem to stand up when they are in closed guard without a thought to where they are putting their hands. I actually tried a bow & arrow choke on him and it worked fine. I did this because I lost to this choke in the competition and want to see how it works more.

Sparring time: 7 x 6 mins = 42 mins

Bow and Arrow Choke

No comments:

Post a Comment