Tuesday 15 December 2015

Judo Day 12: Foot Sweeps

I wasn't aware that Judo would start 30 minutes earlier today so arrived just for the last round of newaza. I was a bit bummed by that because I wanted to practice hiding the arm and neck against cross-facing when an opponent comes around for side control.

Still it was good training and I enjoyed it a lot. I asked Kumagai-san, who is one of the older guys who comes to train at the dojo, for advice on uchi-mata. He showed me the correct hand position. It seemed different to what F-sensei taught me so I am beginning to believe that like BJJ, Judo has small variations depending on who you ask.

During sparring I landed an outer foot sweep (kosoto gari) against one of the black belts and both of us were completely shocked. It was so well time and I don't even remember thinking about it. In fact, I have no idea where it came from. This gives me hope in the fact that I can perfect this technique because it is very useful in BJJ. I used it a few times after that on the white belts to test it by pulling them hard to make them move back so their front foot becomes light and easy to sweep.

No comments:

Post a Comment