Friday 30 May 2014

On The Mat Day 496: Bursitis

So I went to train this morning after taking about a week off from training. Last week just after finishing P90X my elbow became swollen and painful. At first I though that a mosquito had bitten me but it increased in size far beyond that. I could not lean on it because of the pain and I noticed that it became puffy to the touch as though water was under the skin. I finally realized that I had bursitis of the elbow and began to ice it and just rest. Luckily it was the end of P90X so I could just chill without feeling guilty.

Bursitis of the elbow
I was contemplating going to the doctor but I know they would have just told me to do exactly what I did, ice it and take ibuprofen, so I saved some cash and did just that. I need to be careful that it doesn't flare up again so tried to be extra careful during training today but still knocked it on the mat a few times so am icing it now. It feels fine.

So what was the cause? I've no idea but I think it was probably overtraining my elbow with pull ups and push ups since it began to click a couple of weeks ago while doing those exercises. According to my instructor, it is common also among judoka after repetitive training in Seio-nage. This is the first time I have had bursitis and it may be age related, who knows.

P.S. Jiu-jitsu was hell today in the heat I felt like collapsing and it's only May. The worst is yet to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment