Sunday 19 May 2013

On the Mat Day 373: 3 Hour Session

How I felt all night.
Friday night was probably the best class I've had in a long time. I drank my Assault pre-workout drink and it kicked in about 7.30 when I started warming up before class. This was before anyone arrived and I was basically on my own, trying out the 20kg kettlebells, using the bands to warm up my shoulders and the stability ball for balance. Assault really works. As I warmed up I kept thinking, so this is what it feels like to be 20 again. My focus and stamina were very high.

About 13 plus people came to class, which is unheard of on Friday. Usually those numbers come on Saturday night. 1 black, 3 brown, 2 purple, 4 blue, 3 white was something like the breakdown of it. I sparred quite a bit and finished going against F-sensei who tooled me around like a rottweiler with an old chewing ball. I felt very strong during sparring until I ran out of gas at the end. I tried to stand as long as possible with everyone and pulled guard only once when my arms tired out from gripping while standing. I constantly control the inside and block any attempt they have to recover their grips. The only thing is that I cannot throw even with dominant grips - I'm sure this will come with time and sensitivity like I have on the ground.

At the end of class, one of the smaller brown belts, who has been away for 2 years was looking to practice a few moves so I asked him if he wanted to pair up and try a few things. This is what we did, nogi;

Single leg x 10
Double leg x 10
Arm drag to hip lock takedown x 10
Flying triangle with crash mat x 10

If I do these takedowns after every lesson I'm sure it is going to help me improve takedown. I'd like to add some throw in there too.

I can't explain why this was the best lesson so far. I guess it was the length and how much stuff I packed into the lesson. I had lots of energy so much that I felt like I was buzzing. I kept wondering when it would wear off and actually felt that I had an unfair advantage using Assault over the other guys there. Also, in the back of my mind was maybe this is just a placebo effect but even if it is, I'll still take that over lethargic body and groggy mind.

Sparring time: 8 x 6 mins  = 48 mins

No comments:

Post a Comment