Thursday 11 April 2013

On the Mat Day 360: Teo Visits

Again we practiced the guard passing drills that use the legs to clear the guard player's hooks. I actually went ahead and put a lot of effort in using them during sparring. My mindset has changed phase recently, I only want to focus on specific things during sparring and don't care about whether I get the guy to tap or whether he taps me. If I am able to successfully complete one of my goals then I consider it far superior to dominating my opponent. I think this is the only way to go to improve from here. I plan to do this for as long as I can. Pick a topic, work on it, go to the next one, then at some point in the future I can put them together like the pieces of a jigsaw to make a complete game. Right now I am working on turtle and because of that am studying Telles's stuff.

Teo visited last night so that meant I got to train with 3 black belts, which I consider an excellent opportunity, because some gyms don't even have one. My ideal training environment would be to either enter a club that is full of black belts where I can pick their brains for details or a club full of blue belts because all they would want to do is beat my ass. Either of those scenarios would be equally interesting and good for my development.

Sparring time: 7 x 6 mins = 42 mins

No comments:

Post a Comment