Wednesday 27 June 2012

On the Mat Day 277: Sleep Deprived Again

I woke up at 4 am this morning because jiu-jitsu was whizzing through my brain at light speed. Perhaps my brain just overloaded in my sleep and forced me to wake as it was compartmentalizing my thoughts and ideas on techniques. Apparently this happens for other fighting arts such as boxing. Funnily it never happened when I did Karate. This leads me to wonder if it's a phenomenon related to fighting arts that are alive or have live sparring.

Training last night was enjoyable. I did not get mown over by some guys who usually go right through me. During sparring I tried to focus on posture as much as possible. Many of the time I got caught or put in a bad spot was when I had not maintained good posture. During a stacking pass I tried to keep my skeletal structure in good alignment and achieved a successful pass. In a purple belt's closed guard I kept my posture strong and used a frame on my arms and remained safe from his attacks but he eventually got me with a hip bump after tricking me with a combination.

I am still weak against defending chokes and getting the opponent off me when I am turtled. Perhaps I should work on this. Ah, frustrating, there are so many thing to improve.

Sparring time: 6 x 6 mins = 36 mins

Notable moments: Lots of successful escapes from mount, side and back.

1 comment:

  1. "Apparently this happens for other fighting arts such as boxing. Funnily it never happened when I did Karate. This leads me to wonder if it's a phenomenon related to fighting arts that are alive or have live sparring." - This really sticks out to me because it's true in my own experience as well. BJJ has been the only art I've ever studied/ practiced which has woke me up at night, deliberating movements & strategies. I think it has a lot to do with the allowance of fluidity from one potential technique to another, something you don't see as often in more classical, rigid styles such as karate or taekwondo. With so many potentialities/ probabilities, your mind has endless considerations. Interesting post. Look forward to reading more.

    ReplyDelete