Friday 23 March 2012

On the Mat Day 248: Last Session before West Japan Tournament

So the matches are up for the West Japan Tournament in 2 days. I have to say that the JJFJ are very competent at organizing this tournament. Everything is displayed online. There is a list of competitors per gym and the brackets are displayed with a picture of each competitor. There is even a list of times that each belt bracket will start. It is very professional. I have heard their tournaments run very smooth and look forward to reporting on it after competing. I am entered for Blue Belt, Senior 1, Level (Lightweight) -76 kg. I have lost a little more weight than my last competition a month ago so feel a bit more light on my feet. The weight ins are immediately before the matches so I decided to lose a little more weight to allow for eating before weighing in.

This week has been quite tough. I've had a lot of holes exposed in my game and this has made a dent in my confidence. Despite this I feel focused and am determined to win my category. I must trust in the technique and my will to win.

Last nights training was with K-sensei who will actually face Satoshi Souza from Bonsai Jiu-jitsu. Fuji-san turned up to train also. Just us 3 regulars. I basically worked on single legs, taking the back, sitting guard and tried passing with K-sensei which is almost impossible. I was tempted to take along my tablet PC to record some sparring but didnt. I wish I did now because K-sensei used a guard pass on me which I always have problems with. I need to know how to shut that down but never see how he sets it up. My chin is a little sore again today after getting head butted. K-sensei and I were doing more stand up than usual which is always prone to heads getting smacked and such. I am starting to enjoy standing techniques again. I think breaking my foot way back put me off them for a while. That is why I played guard for so long.

Sparring time: 6 x 6 mins = 36 mins
Notable moments: Lots of good arm drags, X-guard established from mount escape on K-sensei but failed to sweep

No comments:

Post a Comment