Saturday 10 December 2011

On the Mat Day 215: Another Trip to the Warm Dojo

I liked the new dojo so much I went again last night. The room is warm and the mats are new. A heated room means less risk of injury. It did not take me long to warm up at all. In fact my gi was drenched in sweat by the end of the night. It felt like summer!

K-sensei worked us through the Flower sweep or the Xande sweep if you look at Xande Ribeiro's DVD since he was so famous for using it in competition. I like this sweep but I know I use my legs incorrectly. Trying to push with the adductor muscles rather than the hamstrings and not pulling their leg away from their body using the power of my bicep. It was a really good recap lesson for me.



Attendees last night were K-sensei, Fuji, Fumika, a white belt whose name I think is Kajima or something similar, plus myself. That is a record number so far. I hope some day the room will be full of people all desperate to get on the mat. I really want to help increase the number of students but don't know what I can do to help. I have posted on gaijin living in Nagoya forums advertising our club. Maybe there is something else I can do. The only people I see start BJJ are old judo students or those that have done some martial art before. Basically they already have a bit of fighting spirit in them, these are usually the ones that continue to train. Not many people start for self-defence. Apparently Japan is safe. However, if you look at the news, just the other day some crazed idiot ran after a school kid with a hammer, also, some 49 year old kicked a 9 year old boy in the face because the kid came to retrieve his football from the man's garden without asking permission, and not a day goes by without a school girl being attacked either sexually or with some type of knife. Maybe the Japanese folks need to be scared into doing BJJ! There's a thought...

My sparring was lukewarm. K-sensei man-handled me, Fuji trapped me in side control and Fumika butted me in the face, strangely without bruising or pain. It makes me want to wear a gum shield even more but those things make me dry retch. I really tried to work from a butterfly guard but was hopeless. I think it will be a good project for me to study the butterfly guard because it will lead onto the x-guard or deep half which I like to use.

Sparring time: 7 x 6 mins = 42 mins

Notable moments: Triangling my legs many many times on Fuji-san but not finishing. Pull the head down!


Things to do: Study buttefly guard, work on a strategy for side mount escapes (major sticking point for me)

No comments:

Post a Comment