Tuesday 2 August 2011

On the Mat Day 182: Spider Guard

F-sensei taught us a lot of spider guard tonight. From kneeling opponent to standing. There were so many that by the time I get to the end of them I forget the one I liked the best. I've done many of them before so it was good to see a solid breakdown of them though.

There were a lot of people tonight. 12 in total. Sparring was a bit rough for me but I soldiered on through it. Yoshida threw me over him and ended up in mount while he was in open guard. I saw him do it to a few others. Seems it is his flavour of the month move. He was good at it too. Saw it coming but couldn't stop it.

I did well moving back to half-guard then full guard when in trouble. I'm still plugging away at side control escapes but never seem to shrimp far enough back. One notable moment was getting a lasso choke on Kensuke as he went to pass my open guard. I allowed him to pass as I set up the collar grip. I gradually felt my arm sink into his neck as he tried to move north-south while I hipped away from him. Was a nice move that I was proud of getting on.

I also wore my gi with a newly attached Fightworks Podcast patch. Nobody commented which was odd. I had a feeling F-sensei would say to me to put on his patch, which I plan to do. He is such a nice guy that he would never pressure me into that though. I think he is being more serious with his sparring now. Last lesson he seemed really focused.

Sparring time: 7 x 6 mins = 42 mins

No comments:

Post a Comment