Saturday 19 March 2011

On the Mat Day 144: Strong Base Basics

I think a lot of people are worried about the problems Japan has right now so much so that Friday regulars didn't turn up. Just me and Akira and K-sensei teaching. Despite this I thought it was a great lesson and sparring session. We sparred with each other for 3 turns each and each time was different. Notable moves by me were my ability to pull the opponents leg up after a sweep so they can't get back to their feet. I constantly attempted a butterfly guard pass and succedded once on Akira. Both him and K-sensei are really slippery, they both have amazing leg flexibility so passing their guard is not easy. I asked K-sensei at the end if he had a suggestion for adding a combination onto the end of a tripod sweep and he told me to use a leg hook and both arms to pull the opponent forward (since their weight is usually forward to stabilize them) and use the other leg to push up and take them over my head then transition to mount. In closed guard during sparring I did well to control Akira with my legs and pulling his elbows laterally. I am really starting to have fun doing BJJ sparring now. I think this is the phase when everyone says that you will eventually come to a point where it's fun more than not. It comes I am sure from getting used to someone's weight on you and not panicking or losing a good breathing pattern. I am more about taking my time and waiting for an opening now, not wanting to rush anything but keep to the technique and be patient.

Sparring time: 6 x 6 mins = 36 mins

No comments:

Post a Comment