Saturday 12 July 2014

On the Mat Day 511: Rehabilitating a groin injury

I've been trying everything I can to heal my left groin muscle. On Wednesday I went to see a physiotherapist who was recommended to me by a friend. He is very good and does a hands on approach with lots of deep tissue massage on a specific area. It felt like he was driving sharp needles into my groin muscle when he was working on it. He told me my muscles are extremely tight around my hips. I have noticed over the years that my hamstrings have become much tighter and am working on getting them more flexible or risk more injuries while doing BJJ.

I was very hesitant to go last night because of my injury but haven't sparred for a week so just had to go. I tried not to push hard but everyone seemed to be in the mood to go serious and use lots of power so it was hard to flow. Maybe it was because there were lots of guys there heavier than me. It's really hard for me to shrimp off my injured groin side right now. I just tried to slow things down and look for escapes last night and was quite successful but since my dominant leg is the injured one then its hard to spar efficiently.

About 15 minutes to the end of the class I had one more opponent I thought I could spar with (I like to spar at least once with everyone in the room) but instead I decided to throw in the towel and foam roll any kinks out of my muscles. I'm glad I did.

For an update on P90X2. I am still going strong. This is week 5 and I plan to do 2 more weeks of Strength before moving on. So far it is helping my jits a lot.

I wants it!

No comments:

Post a Comment