Aji Supplement Tournament at Handa Dec. 2. 2012
There were 3 of us in the Senior 1 group. I watched the first 2 guys go at it. And took on the loser of that match and won by sweeping, taking side control, taking the back - almost getting a choke from rear mount and side control. I then went against the 2nd guy and lost that match to an Ezekiel choke from behind.
Some things I learnt were:
- I need to be more offensive after sinking my rear mount hooks in and I need to control him more so he cannot escape by pinning one of my legs to the mat and turning into me.
- I need drill sitting guard sweeps so they become second nature. There was too much thinking.
- I must maintain better grips on the omoplata because my opponent pulled him arm out from my legs.
- I need more opponent position awareness in a turtled position to either re-guard or sweep efficiently.
- I need to tweak my side control choke so make it a finishing move.
- I must attack first from open guard instead of waiting for a reaction.
- I need to re-guard better from open-guard by inverting or getting my hips square again.
I have been injured for about 2 weeks prior to the tournament with a minor strain in my right groin muscle. I've been taking ibuprofen to take down the inflammation and resting since Sunday. I plan to take a break for a week, see how it is, then get back on the mats. I think it's a much deserved period of recuperation.
One last thing. I'd like to thank my wife who woke up early Sunday and patched the gaping hole in the knee of my favourite (getting old and worn out) gi.