Wednesday 19 December 2012

On the Mat Day 326: Tapped by White Belt

I've been working on a bow and arrow choke escape taught by Brandon Mullins on his DVD produced by Stephan Kesting. I had an opportunity to try it last night. I let a smaller white belt get my back, sink the hooks and go for the bow and arrow choke. I then tried the escape from the DVD but I messed it up and had to tap. I did not secure the choking arm properly and did not put enough weight as I rolled onto his leg so he could keep moving to my back. He looked at me with stunned eyes and said "That's the first time I've ever tapped you." I just nodded, said congratulations and continued the remaining 60 seconds of the roll. it was a funny feeling knowing that I was putting myself in a bad position and failed the escape while I knew my opponent had thought he had genuinely caught me. I felt my ego bruise a little but also knew I had to accept the fact I got caught because my technique failed. It's quite an enlightening moment. I took another look at Brandon's technique again this morning and will continue to work on it until I can perfect it.

Sparring time: 6 x 6 mins = 36 mins


No comments:

Post a Comment