Wednesday 15 February 2012

On the Mat Day 233: Breaking Closed Guard

I have a feeling that F-sensei thinks that I will be caught in closed guard during the competition on Sunday so he taught how to break it as well as how important it was not to let the opponent put you in closed guard. Using one of your hands you can grap the pants below his belt, rotate the fist grip so it is vertical and keep your elbow of that arm on your thigh when you are in combat base. This prevents his legs from coming around you. It's a simple yet effective move but must be done at the right time.

I felt low on energy during sparring. The nasty cold I caught last week has knocked me back a few steps. These are just things you have to get through though. I learnt that I only have one match in my bracket for the competition. It's a slow time of year so I guess not many people compete. Whatever the outcome of that single match, I know that the preparation for this competition has allowed me to move up a gear in my BJJ. Over the last 2 months it has given me a goal and made sure that I get my arse to the club to train (when healthy) and also increased my dedication to studying BJJ techniques so that I can discard or implement them to my game. It's been fun and my interest in BJJ has really gone up.

Sparring time: 5 x 6 mins = 30 mins

Notable moments: Trying Berimbolo on a white belt and semi-succeeding while wondering which direction I need to kick my leg. Being totally lost on what to do with a DelaRiva hook on my non-dominant leg.

No comments:

Post a Comment