Saturday 20 August 2011

On the Mat Day 187: Double Cross Pass

Last night's training was like an explosion of endorphines. I had not trained for a week because of the holidays and so was finding myself in a dark mood and stressed out. Training was just what I needed. Before going I did feel like staying at home and continuing the nap I had but I crawled off the sofa and went. A few of the regulars were there and Sho-kun who I have not seen for a while. K-sensei was absent because he is in the Phillipines but gets back today. It's amazing how good I felt after we finished up. I just don't know how people who don't exercise get on in life. There is no better feeling than having sweated out your stress and frustrations. I believe it goes back to when we were hunting the savana for food in our prehistoric days. Man needs to run, to wrestle and experience an elevated heart rate.

We worked on an unual guard pass. It is the first time I have seen it. It involved circling the legs from a standing position vs a butterfly type guard. Then pressing the opponents legs to the side and holding it to the floor with both my legs crossed in an x-shape over his shin. There were a lot of variations from there. According to F-sensei it is called the double cross pass.

Sparring time: 6 x 6 mins = 36 mins

Notable moments: Getting into x-guard vs another blue belt. Moving to deep half guard vs a strong white belt. Retaining guard or half-guard vs higher belts. Getting passed easily after I dropped to slip into x-guard by a purple belt (that was an "aww crap" moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment