Friday 29 July 2011

On the Mat Day 181: From Standing to X-Guard with Sweeps

I really enjoyed this class tonight. The x-guard is one of my favourite guards that I really want to get good at because it lets the smaller guy lift big heavy dudes. It's also a pain in the arse to stop. We drilled moving into it from foot on hip to dropping to the floor and then worked on the push and stand, and the push and roll over your shoulder sweep. Loved doing them. I thought it was going to be a slow Friday again but a few guys turned up later which was great.

Sparring was ok. Everyone looks really pig sick of the heat and you can see they want summer to be over. We all sweat a ton and often take breaks and rehydrate. It's rough in the summer. Tsuzuki-san mentioned at the end that my guard is getting harder to pass. I am not letting him flatten me out and shrimping a lot more to return back to guard. In fact I caught him in closed guard tonight for the first time in a long time. That's the second person who has mentioned that my guard has improved. I think there are many factors. I have been watching a lot of videos since losing at the competition, been improving my cardio, bought a lighter dougi, and drill shrimp to guard drills after class when I can. I'll take any improvement and be happy with it.

Sparring time: 6 x 6 mins = 36 mins

No comments:

Post a Comment