Thursday 10 February 2011

On the Mat Day 134: Turtled Opponent Attacks

I learnt a good choke last night. It doesn't use the gi and has your hands moving in the motion of a pair of scissors while pulling the opponent towards you. It seems like a good choke that can be had from a lot of positions. I love chokes that are not dependent on the gi so will try to include it.

It was a tough night for sparring. Lots of guys there all looking for the win. My fingers are aching today. A few of them feel loose at the first knuckle but I'm used to it now. I'm still frustrated with my inability to move better on the floor when getting my guard passed. I am really starting to feel my weakness is cardio. I get tired very easily. I also know that I'm an injury waiting to happen because I am not stretching enough. That is why I did 30 mins of yoga tonight.

I am very impressed with Atsushi who trains a hell of a lot and is blue. He has improved so fast but he goes about 5 times a week and now the Uni exams are over he said he goes twice a day and jogs in the mornings. Oh to be young again. I see a lot of favouritism from F-sensei towards him. I understand this but I think many in the class are far too focused on competition. I am constantly thinking about the self-defence aspect and have a good feel for what would work in a bad situation and what wouldn't. Anyway I finished by getting crushed by Fuji-san who is so damn heavy with his base and then I went to the punch bag for a cardio workout.

Sparring time: 7 rounds x 6 mins = 42 mins
Bag time: about 15 mins

No comments:

Post a Comment