Friday 8 March 2013

On the Mat Day 348: Competition Mode

With just over a week to go until the Copa Barbosa competition in Handa I have reverted to playing my A game which is lasso spider guard and should I need it knee shield spider guard. At class last night only K-sensei, Fuji-san and myself turned up to train and so we went 3 times against each other. Fuji always tries to force closed guard so he can use the Wilson Hayes pass so he is good practice for half-guard sweeps or butterfly since he likes to put a lot of weight on me. I'm also using only 1 escape from side control which has been the most successful for me. I can not for the life of me get the hip escape and knee in to closed guard escape.

K-sensei mentioned that a lot of the heavier standup oriented guys trained at Nonami Wednesday night. That was probably lots of fun. I also heard that Yoshida-san arrived safely in Brazil and is staying at a hotel close to the dojo that has a washing machine. The way F-sensei talks about having that facility you'd think it were gold. He said there is a lot of rain so the gi stays wet often. I think I would prefer to travel to the US over Brazil anyway. Same language and just as good quality instruction.

My list to visit would be something like this:
Kurt Osiander
BJ Penn
Dave Camarillo
Renzo Gracie
Kron/Rickson Gracie
Renato Tavares
Saulo Ribeiro
Draculino
Eddie Bravo
Stephan Kesting
Jeremy Arel
Roy Dean

Probably out of all of these I like Jeremy Arel because the way he teaches in his videos seems to resonate something with me and I pick up his stuff very easily.

And in the UK.
Roger Gracie
Braulio Estima



Sparring time: 6 x 6 mins = 36 mins


No comments:

Post a Comment