Friday 18 January 2013

On the Mat Day 334: Finishing the Armbar

A lot more people are coming to Tsurumai to avoid training at the ice box that is the Nonami dojo. Being British I suppose the guys I train with have the idea that I am accustomed to really cold weather but it is much easier to get through the winter in the UK because of central heating. This type of heating is typically unheard of in Japan and I think they only have it in Hokkaido. All they have here are kerosene heaters, gas heaters and in the best of cases, floor heating. That's why it's so hard to keep warm here. Tsurumai dojo is usually too hot, which tires me out faster though.

I still pushed through sparring and tried not to take breaks. I try not to think about the fact that I am 41 and my opponent is in his early twenties or that I am 74 kg and my opponent is 100 kg. I try to give my best and work technique, get out of bad spots, be defensive and keep up with them. It's hard. Jiu jitsu is hard. I can see why many people quit. I totally can. I don't think I ever will though. My determination to press on is greater now and that may be due to my promotion to purple belt. I've actually started to forget about the new colour of my belt. I just see the person when I spar with people and register how they move, what their favourite position is.

There were a lot of glaring holes in my game last night. My stamina is low so transitions between moves are slow. There is too much resting. My guard recovery is not good or everyone is getting better at passing. I caught myself bending my spine when in butterfly guard and because of it quickly got crushed. I need to think about posture. I need to think more about each grip I make, not make reckless movements. I did a lapel drag last night from sitting, brought my opponent to all fours but failed to come on top. K-sensei told me that I did not switch my hips to face him and that was how he was able to escape.

Like that game of whack a mole I want to systematically smack down each mistake I make with the purpose of improving. My escapes are not ordered yet too. I need to think more on this.

Sparring time: 7 x 6 mins = 42 mins

No comments:

Post a Comment