Wednesday 9 January 2013

On the Mat Day 330: 1st Lesson of 2013

It feels like I've taken ages off from BJJ but in reality it has been about a week and a half. The lay off and bad eating habits over the holidays still had a bad effect on my performance during class last night. I felt very tired, low in energy and spent after the first 2 mins of each round with people who went hard. I'll get my energy back over the next couple of months and enter a competition in March. The competition will be held by Marco Barbosa who happens to be visiting Japan during that time and is the guy who gave my instructor his black belt.

We studied lapel chokes last night. So many variations thrown at us that I just want to frown and ask why so many at once? I am constantly wondering why BJJ has the teaching format it has. Can we not be shown about 5-6 chokes, chose 2 we like and practice them constantly for 10 mins or more with progressive resistance. I think this would be more productive. I feel that I am at a point where I am not really developing efficiently. I only wish I had someone to drill with constantly. F-sensei mentioned that a Canadian came to see our gym the other day and will come for a lesson on Thursday. I will make sure to go training then and meet him. With luck he will join and I can get him to drill with me at the club or even at my home. I've invited some Japanese guys from the club to come round anytime but can never work up the same rapport with them as I'm sure I can another english speaking foreigner.

I've set up some goals for 2013, basic ones but good enough to address problems that are my weak areas in BJJ. Here they are:

At the Club
Perfect 2 Takedowns
Perfect 2 escapes from each inferior position on bottom
(Bottom of mount, side control, rear mount, north south, turtle, knee on belly)
Study all self-defense aspects of BJJ
Train 3 times a week and 1 time just sparring when possible for a total of 4 sessions

At Home (do 2 workouts per week using the following)
Bands for seio-nage
Neck bridges
Neck strengthening exercises using chain strap
Pull ups with gi for grip strength
Groin muscle strengthening with band
Kettlebell workout concentrating on BJJ specific lifts

That's it. I will try to get better at takedown, escapes and self-defence techniques. Nothing more.

Sparring time: 6 x 6 mins = 36 mins

No comments:

Post a Comment