Wednesday 24 October 2012

On the Mat Day 313: Thoughts on Progress

I'm starting to realize more and more that if I want to improve my jiu-jitsu, I have to take it into my own hands. Only I really know what I need to work on. The decision to fill any holes in my game is left to myself. I have to systematically go through my weaknesses, find a solution and apply it over and over again until it is fixed. This may be through drilling or just sparring and hoping I can eventually get a technique to work. If I am frustrated in a certain position, I need to find an answer. Sure I can go to my instructor and ask him what he does in the same situation but he is not going to find my weaknesses for me. That is part of my journey. I can only guess that those people who eventually quit doing jiu-jitsu because they are not happy with their progress have not been proactive enough in their pursuit of knowledge.

I am trying to be proactive with what little time I have by drilling after class. I think it's helping... I wish more guys at my club would drill more after class.


Sparring time: 7 x 6 mins = 42 mins

No comments:

Post a Comment