Wednesday 25 July 2012

On the Mat Day 285: Techniques from Abmar Barbosa Seminar

K-sensei and Yoshida went to Abmar Barbosa's seminar. I didn't get any details about it until they were about to go so had no chance to attend myself. However, they did bring a lot of techniques back with them. F-sensei taught the class at Tsurumai last night and showed us spider guard, which Abmar is very good at. They were all versus a kneeling opponent. I would actually prefer a standing opponent because 9 out of 10 that is where I end up. The variations taught were measures for when the opponent posts one of their legs. We also did lassoo spider variations that transitioned to an omoplata. I am very familiar with the lassoo spider to triangle but not so much the omoplata, which is odd, because they have the exact same setup. There are many things about BJJ that when you are shown them, you think to yourself, "That is odd, why the hell didn't I think of that?". I hope to see more spider guard this week such as against a standing opponent and also the lassoo hold against a standing opponent with sweeps rather than just submission. Since Yoshida loaned me the Tinguinha DVD on spider guard it is a good time to dedicate myself to this guard because I only have a rudimentary knowledge of it and I am playing bottom over the summer months.

My energy is very high during sparring - thanks Tapout XT. I feel functionally strong and feel like I can go longer with the tougher guys. I am also trying to adopt Gunner Nelson's approach of a quiet mind. Just relax, don't stress while sparring, relax the body and mind...and above all breathe correctly. During sparring I am happy to report that I am getting better at hip escaping when in a dangerous position. I still need to break the opponent's grips and be more pre-emptive.

Sparring time: 6 x 6 mins = 36 mins
Notable moments: Twister side control to back take, low pressure guard passing is getting better

No comments:

Post a Comment