Friday 9 March 2012

On the Mat Day 242: Hip Bump Combinations

I am really enjoying the InsideBJJ podcast. It provides a window to conversation I just don't get living in a non-English speaking country. At first I thought it was just a bunch of BJJ guys sitting around chatting about the sport/art but it is actually quite entertaining and even makes me laugh. It has definately earned its place on my ipod.

I have been creating flowcharts for my game. Particularly the spider lasso guard. It shows me holes where I have no options and forces me to think about what to do in certain situations. It appeals to me because I am quite logical in nature but to others it might seem like a waste of time. Besides it fills in some periods of quiet when I am at work. I would really like to put some video of the moves along with the chart to really enforce the moves in my mind as a network of combinations. Talking along this topic, Lloyd Irvin did an interview for InsideBJJ and talked about
"transitions". From my understanding this is the point between techniques where you have a window of time that can make or break the outcome of a match. His students apparently drill to recognize these instances and apply the correct technique that will move them closer to the submission. It was really interesting stuff but for certain no rocket science. The thing is, I can see it requiring a person with a high level of BJJ to teach what the best thing to do is during these instances. From time to time, I see these instances during sparring but am too late to move on them. I am a strong believer in the fact that humans can be predictable. If you can apply a technique to make them respond a certain way, if you expect it and are ready with the next and the next technique, eventually they will be caught in the net. The problem is that when I spar, I do not focus enough on what the opponent reacts with and then having the dedication to figure out what to do next. I think this is what Lloyd has done for his students.

So training was fun. I always enjoy sparring with Fuji and K-sensei on Thursdays. I've noticed that Fuji will play nice to me. He gets a lock on my head or neck, perhaps not the best angle but will release instead of cranking the hell out of it. I kind of wanted to say to him "Go for it. Choke me out, my friend." because I deserved it after being so lazy sticking my neck out. I worked very hard to keep K-sensei from controlling my hips. My guard is getting better I think and I hip out more than I ever used to. I am however prone to accept side control when I see my guard has been passed. It's like I just hold out my arms for a hug when they have passed. I should be working like crazy to shrimp out and bring my knee in.

Sparring time: 6 x 6 mins = 36 mins
Notable moments: Triangle attempt to omoplata to sweep and knee on the belly, successful with lots of armdrags to take the back (seems to work well on heavy opponents).

No comments:

Post a Comment