Wednesday 30 November 2011

On the Mat Day 212: Knee on the Belly

Had a really good night on Monday at BJJ. There were unexpectedly a lot of people attending class. F-sensei showed us knee on belly and attack from that position. He has made us change the grip of the hand closest to the opponent's head. Previously, we have always done it by underhooking the head and getting a thumb in the collar. Now he wants us to have our arm over the opponent's neck and grabbing the far side collar with a single thumb in. It is definately a far better position to launch attack. I am in the process of writing notes for it because I enjoyed the techniques so much.

Lots of people to spar with on Monday. Teo who is a black belt turned up. I haven't seen him for ages. He still has a grip like iron which I gave up after one attempt of removal. I did see him later on slapping his forearms. I think he has a tendency to overgrip. I actually managed to sweep him with a spider guard sweep I always use. It was good to see him spar with Tete-kun and then K-sensei. I wanted to do some technique at the end with Akira but he was picking up some pointers from K-sensei because he will enter the Japan Open in 2 weeks time.

Sparring time: 6 x 6 mins = 36 mins
Notable moments: Sweeping a black belt, using the shovel type sweep from side control on my instructor that Ryan Hall shows on his DVD.

No comments:

Post a Comment