Saturday 22 October 2011

On The Mat Day 203: Breaking Half Guard (with notes)

I really liked this lesson because I find myself in half-guard a lot. Many of the passes last night involved transitioning over the top of the opponent, spinning him around using the legs and taking the back. I've seen one of them before from a standing half-guard position. It was a fun lesson.

Sparring was tough. I don't seem to have found my groove. I'm not tired during sparring but I seem to be making bad decisions or all the wrong moves. I go left when I should be going right etc. The feeling I got last night was depressing. I felt like I was actually getting worse. I felt like I did when I was 6 months into BJJ. I suspect that I could remedy this by training more, but 2-3 times a week is as much as I can manage right now. Tsuzuki caught me in side control and his usual choke. I know what is coming, I can replicate the movements but I cannot stop him. I defended it for a long time but he got it eventually. I tried to invert and sweep him but his base is too strong. In other notes, when I go to left hook from bottom both F and K-sensei crush my legs down by twisting to the side. I know I need to get my right arm in under their leg to move faster to x-guard. I have been looking at the closed high-guard recently. How to get the armbar from closed guard. It almost worked on Tsuzuki, I was really suprised.



At the end of class a lot of technique was floating through my head. I asked K-sensei about a De la Riva sweep and taking the back from the De la Riva hook. I just wanted to clarify a few things. When sweeping with the De la Riva hook and holding the far arm while kicking his leg to stretch him out, he said it is hard to kick the far leg enough to cause him to lose balance. This is especially so for me with my short legs. He suggested to move to sitting guard with the same grips and sweeping.

Sparring time: 6 x 6 mins = 36 mins

Notable moments: K-sensei's teeth going into my forehead, his knee going into my nuts and then his thumb smacking into my eye. I said to him that he can beat me up enough with BJJ alone, he doesn't need to play dirty! They were all accidents though - I think.


Half Guard Breaks -

No comments:

Post a Comment