Thursday 13 January 2011

On the Mat Day 128: Breaking Closed Guard

Still freezing cold. I find it really hard to find the will to train in such weather. I’m also much more injury prone in the winter for sure. I think I have damaged one of my toes on my right foot. It’s discolored and painful when I put on my shoe. It might be broken or just badly sprained. It’s even a possibility that I got mild frostbite on it. That wouldn’t surprise me as it was in the minus Celsius figures last night and the dojo wasn’t that much warmer. I couldn’t feel my toes after sparring on the cold mat. It is very Spartan. I can still walk and train anyway, that’s all that matters.

I need to work on a few things; sweeping from half-guard, deep half-guard and x-guard transition. These were the 3 main stumbling areas for me last night. I failed to establish a good position in any of them so that I could sweep. Must study them again and perhaps practice after class with someone.

Last night was a particularly bad stand up night. I seem to be taken down at the drop of a hat. It was embarrassing but I wasn’t fully trying to resist either. My idea is that in winter I don’t want to be thrown or tackle and wind up with a broken foot like last year so I try to work from bottom. I think it’s sensible. I don’t mind stand up when the days are warmer and the blood, muscle and sinew are heated enough to take a tumble.

There was a new white belt last night. I took it easy on him but failed to sweep him with anything except a hip bump sweep from closed guard. He adjusted quite well considering but I did notice his breathing was heavy and he was easy to arm drag and take the back.

F-sensei pointed out that I need to cover my head more with my full arm to stop chokes on the lapel. I will remember this.

Sparring time: 7 x 6 mins = 42 mins

No comments:

Post a Comment