Tuesday 21 December 2010

On the Mat Day 123: Guard Passing Over Hooks

Last week was so busy but I still managed to get in two nights of training and a competition. Last Sunday I travelled to Handa city and competed in the blue belt senior leve weight group. There were only 2 other competitors and sadly I lost my first match. The guy who beat me tackled me, getting his points, then I kept him in my closed guard while the time ran out. I still haven't got the hang of the time/competition game yet. It is only my 2nd competition and my first at blue belt so there was a lot of nerves involved. It was not so bad as the first competition. I could relax much more this time around and I can see it becoming easier on me. Even though I lost again I still believe it was worth the trouble to go there at 9 am and have to wait until 4.30 pm for my match. Losing just made me want to improve and train harder.

I attended my first lesson after the competition and both F and K sensei gave me a few pointers. I need to play open guard when time is running out and I am losing. I also have to think more about sweeping if submissions don't work right away. On Tuesday night only F-sensei and Kawai-san turned up. Kawai is a big heavy purple belt with a judo background. We sparred and I did better than usual with him. I chided me for not doing better saying that if I had done what I did during sparring I would have won. It's just nerves and lack of experience on my part.

I'll post some pics and a video as soon as I have converted them.


Sparring time: 6 rounds x 6 mins = 36 mins

No comments:

Post a Comment