Tuesday 7 December 2010

On the Mat Day 121: Late Night Sparring

Really beat tonight. I was watching some of the heavyweight fights from TUF2 and I felt like some of those guys who were fighting. Sluggish, slow and lacking in energy or will to do anything. In contrast to Friday I felt like a total beginner. Well not that bad. Using strength when I shouldn't not relaxing. Although, it's really hard not to when the only people at the class are 2 brown belts and a black, plus Arata-kun (white) who is getting better and making me work for submissions.

Maybe it is the lack of calories. I am cutting about half a kilo for Sunday's competition to get below 76 kg with the gi. I'm basically a worrier and don't want to get there and the guy tells me to run around the sports center for a while and take a big shit to drop weight. lol. No, that's not what I want. So all I have been eating is fish and rice and cutting down any sweet stuff.

F-sensei pointed out my tackles were bad. I need to stop using my hands first because it is telegraphing the move. The hands should be last he said. Keep the body at right angles to the floor and scoop the legs right when my left leg is forward. Also to think of judoka grip fighting like punches. I need to block their attempts to obtain grips and then clinch and take down. It was a good end to a bad class for me. Funny thing is I used to be decent at tackles but since the higher belts kept neutralizing them I stopped doing them. Ah well time to work on them again.

Sparring time: 8 x 6 mins = 48 mins = very knackered

No comments:

Post a Comment