Wednesday 22 September 2010

On the Mat Day 103: Turtle Escapes

I watched a DVD on the quarter guard again before going training last night. I keep adding little things from it. Like I used to just work on getting into the quarter guard, then move to the bicep slicer if I get passed. Last night I added the omoplata which was surprisingly easy to move into. I think my body and brain is starting to think in 3D. God and it only took a year! This guard really cries out to me to use it. I don' t know what it is but I feel comfortable being in that position more than any other. I hope to work on it and make it "my" guard.

I'm pretty sore today actually. Stiffened my neck up because I got caught trying to turn into closed guard from the turtle. My head got trapped awkwardly under my body and I had to reset. I should work on neck strengthening - Really. It worries me to think that I could seriously injure my neck. I had a hell of a time trying to sleep last night too. I keep thinking of the mistakes I made and my body feels hotter than normal after training. I've decided that over more than anything, sleep is the most important thing for me when it comes to training. So yesterday I took a nap for 2 and 1/2 hours. I felt great last night but still gassed fast.

Today, I finished reading "Why I Fight" by BJ Penn. An interesting read but it was disappointing in the fact that it had little about his BJJ years or his thoughts on BJJ and MMA comparisons. It just seemed to end up as a multiple number of fights in the cage told on paper. It would have been great to have included some thoughts on his training and how he improved it although he did mention this briefly.

Sparring time: 7 x 6 mins = 42 mins

No comments:

Post a Comment