Saturday 31 July 2010

On the Mat Day 89: Scissor Sweeps

Only me and Atsushi trained last night. Koyama was the instructor so there were only 3 of us. I wore a full rash guard (with long sleeves) last night because I've been getting sweat rashes along my arms. The heat is incredible and the sweat mixed with the gi rubbing on my arms causes red rashes the next day which look unsightly. The full rash guard seemed to have helped but it made it hotter. I think I am getting accustomed to the heat though. I no longer feel as tired while sparring.

A guy from a gym in Gifu came last night. Purple belt called Honda. He is probably Pena weight class but very tight thoughtful movements. He passed me guard easily and I thought I could counter but he was so tight with his technique. He is from a club called Nascer Do Sol which also does Shooto. I think they are affiliated with Barbosa Jiu Jitsu who is the instructor of my instructor. From time to time we get people coming from there and GSB club. It's great because I can spar with someone I have never worked with. During sparring the 2nd time round with Atsushi I asked him to help me work on my guard breaking. He swept me with a flower sweep but I got out of his guard with a few various breaks. Standing seemed to be better for me actually. I shall work on that.

I was reading a blog the other day how to spar against higher level people. It basically gave a method of dictacting what happens. For instance, if I am going to be passed I should immediately let go and move to open guard instead of waiting for the opponent to move into side control. I think it went closed guard -> open guard -> half guard -> turtle. I tried it a little last night and it's a good concept. It means that I am always prepared and one step ahead. I am also having great success moving out of turtle position to an under roll (no idea real name). It is a great escape and I have always drilled it but until now my body has never done it during sparring. However, recently I have been doing it without thinking and escaping a bad position. Go solo drill!

Sparring time: 6 x 6 mins = 36 mins


No comments:

Post a Comment