Thursday 15 April 2010

On the Mat Day 67: Guillotine Choke and Kimura

We studied the closed guard attacks tonight which was great because this stuff is basic but it is again what I needed. Fukuzumi-sensei showed us the kimura lock and 2 variations on how to get it. Then how to escape and finally what to do if someone escapes. He followed this up with the guillotine choke and broke it down a lot. I had always thought it was just grabbing the head and yanking it as tight as possible but in fact little effort is required to make the choke. We were shown chokes where both my arms can go around the throat directly or one arm under his armpit. In each case, the arms have to move differently to complete the choke, which was new to me.

I sparred for 2 rounds because in the 3rd with Tete-kun I felt my groin give a little so stopped immediately and went home to ice it. I've decided to just concentrate on technique only until the competition in just over 2 weeks from now. I must get my injury in better condition.

-Peace

No comments:

Post a Comment