Sunday 26 July 2015

On the Mat Day 648: Drilling escapes and nogi

The heat is peaked right now around 35 Celsius in the daytime and I easily get through about 2 liters of water. I actually weighed myself on the scales the other day to see what the weight loss was in water before and after training. See the photo results below.

Before
After (almost 1kg of sweat!)
So, despite going through a whole 2L bottle of water, I also lost nearly a kilo in weight. No wonder I feel beat afterwards. I should probably take some electrolytes in the drink as well come to think of it.

Today James and I worked on escapes from kesa-gatame and side control. I'm very comfortable getting out of kesa-gatame but when in side control I am still not good at efficiently using frames, bridging, shrimping and then returning to guard. I just need to drill it more with resistance. The escape is very easy with no resistance but when done with a resisting opponent who is the same size it is way tougher. It's just something I need to work on more each session.

We ended the workout with 3 x 5 min rounds of nogi. It's much better to do nogi in these temperatures. There are lots of people (usually old) dying right now in Japan from heat exhaustion. It's no joke.

No comments:

Post a Comment