Friday 3 August 2012

On the Mat Day 288: Learning From Mistakes

Last night was a good session. I came away with two bits of good advice regarding my technique. The first was the guillotine choke. I sparred with Fuji-san nogi at my request because it was the 3rd round with him and it spices things up a little. I also know it takes him out of his element of judo grips. Still, he caught me in a choke as I went to tackle, he sprawled, I tried to reverse out the back door, he stuffed it so I went to try to move to half guard but the choke was on good. I tapped. This is a pattern I get in and I need to fix it so I get out from under the sprawl faster. Anyway, back to the guillotine. After tapping we reset then I pulled his head down into a guillotine choke and then pulled him into my guard. Only it didn't work and he got out from between my legs and went to the choking side and turned into me to escape. K-sensei later explained that I tried to pull him back, basically pulling the bull towards me by the horns. What I should have done was move my hips and body to him and jumped to guard and let my weight take him down and then apply the choke fully. Because I stepped back and pulled him towards me it left a huge gap for him to manouever away from my legs.

OK so the second thing I learnt. I sparred nogi with K-sensei and his leg was right there asking to be taken. I'm a big fan of the straight ankle lock but I realize it shouldn't be a crutch for a poor passing game. I went for the leg and had it very very tight in my left armpit. My right hand was holding my left hand to apply the pain upwards. I tried to get the correct technique and not just lean back and hope for the best. I was sure he was about to tap to it but he didn't. Usually if we are in gi, the guy extends his trapped foot and pulls on my lapel to stop my movement. In nogi K-sensei hooked my right arm so I could not get leverage. Eventually I gave up but my arms were not exhausted from the strain (thanks to Tapout XT my endurance is up!). He told me after that my left arm had trapped his leg very tight and that was good but my right supporting arm was wide open for him to pull in. I need to close the gap entirely between my ribs and arm. Also, the deeper his ankle is in my armpit the stronger the pressure. Once I'm in position I must remember to bring my feet towards my backside and push my hips forward. Very much like taking an armbar. This requires less strength and applies more pressure than simply sitting back pro wrestler style.

Notable moments: Idiot sweep on Fuji-san (sorry Fuji-san), trapped in deep half-guard to be pulled around into crucifix position

Sparring time: 6 x 6 mins = 36 mins

No comments:

Post a Comment