Friday 30 March 2012

On the Mat Day 250: Wilson Reis Pass

Thursday was a quiet night. I think from next week I will look for a night with more sparring partners. There is only K-sensei, Fuji-san and myself who turn up for the class. Fuji-san mostly only ever works on the Wilson Reis pass and we end up in stalemate most times that not as I defend that tight pass. He has become better at defending against my armdrag. As I drag him to the side he has got better at shifting his weight towards me instead of to my side as I intend.

A middle aged guy came in to watch a lesson with thoughts of starting to learn BJJ. I couldn't help think about how much of a hard time he will have and will probably get smashed if he ever meets Tsuzuki-san, who generally smashes everyone into the mat. Then I stopped myself thinking that way because afterall I am in Japan and he may be a black belt in Judo for all I know. Appearances can be deceiving with grappling. With the right technique and not necessarily physical attributes, any normal guy can be a monster.

I got the DVD of my matches from Fumika. I usually get home and watch them immediately but this time left it until morning because I performed quite badly and couldn't face watching them before bed. There are just so many things I have to improve. I suppose rear mount defence is a good place to start, followed by guard retention and then escapes from side mount and north-south. That was not fun to be held down like that with the clock ticking in my ear.

Sparring time: 6 x 6 mins = 36 mins

Notable moments: almost took K-sensei's back and he never let's me get there on purpose.










No comments:

Post a Comment