Thursday 14 April 2011

On the Mat Day 149: Rear Chokes

A good number of folks turned up for training. The temperature dipped a little but it didn't stop the regular guys training. I was shocked to see a blue belt turn up that I hadn't seen for a long time. He always played rough when I was at white. Now that I am blue belt I was very curious as to how he would go about sparring with me. When we started he sure enough tried to muscle his way through a lot of technique, which is crazy because I am bigger, stronger and more athletic than him. I was prepared to go easy and have a light roll seeing that he hasn't trained for a while. Once he did the same old "go for achilles fotlock instead of passing the guard" I gave up and just held him down until he quickly tired then submitted him with an armbar then an americana. He said afterwards that I have improved and I patted him on the back etc because I actually feel bad at times when I submit someone. I don't like to just get up and walk away while letting them sort themselves out and go at it again. It feels arrogant. When I was younger I wouldn't give a shit if I had hurt someone but now I always check after a submission whether someone is ok. I guess some people may see this as mothering after folks but I see each guy as a valuable training partner, a commodity to me getting better, and would hate to hurt them or leave any bad feeling with them.

Wednesday night, Makoto is coming from Taiwan but sadly I wont be there :(

Sparring time: 6 x 6 mins = 36 mins

No comments:

Post a Comment