Tuesday 30 November 2010

Day 119 On the Mat: Escapes

I got to class late tonight and F-sensei was showing 2 guys the stuff he learnt at the Rickson Gracie seminar. Luckily I was in time enough to practice the moves. They were very much self-defence based which I really liked. Defending take downs, head locks and reversing scarf and side control, also mount escapes. It was based on what Rickson had called "Connection". The wrist, elbow, shoulder and neck locked into a single stiff obstacle which holds the opponent at bay while you use hip escape to create space and reverse or escape. I used them against the two guys who I sparred with (purple and brown) granted they were smaller than me but the moves worked really well.

It was a good night of sparring but I am getting out of breath far too easy still. Kondo-san commented that I looked like I was gaining weight. I guess I am a little but it's only about 1kg. Anyway, I have to make 76 kg or under with the gi for the 12th and I weighed 76.3 kg. As long as I don't stuff myself and keep snacks to a minimum I should be ok. Winter time is a bitch to lose weight though.

Sparring time: 6 x 6 mins = 36 mins

No comments:

Post a Comment