Wednesday 30 September 2009

Brazilian Jiu Jitsu 1st day

So I'm sitting typing with almost one hand because my right thumb is bound in an ice bandage. I had my first jiu jitsu lesson tonight and nearly dislocated my thumb. As Tete-kun (that's his nickname), a purple belt and really cool guy was passing my guard I shot my hand out to stop him and my thumb cranked backwards on his leg. I've done the same with my left hand years ago when I got it kicked backwards doing Karate. It was painful but I was impressed with how quick they were to give me spray and ice.

Even though I am really fit and strong (thanks Beachbody) I found myself getting tired fast. They were taking it really easy on me too. I have a lot of respect for their strength and agility not to mention their technical ability.

I think I'm really going to enjoy jiu jitsu. It's fairly laid back compared to other martial arts, no bowing, just hand shaking and hugging.

No comments:

Post a Comment